Saturday, March 9, 2013

Surya Yoga - Juice & Salad Bar

My 2 week trial with Surya Yoga ended last week and you know what? I'm secretly missing the pain and agony that usually embraces me after a tiring workout.

Yoga mats available to be borrowed during class.

As Aman Suria Damansara is out of the way from my office and home area, I was not able to attend most of the classes they had to offer. 

Yoga blocks - in case you can't reach the mat/floor.

During the two weeks, I managed to attend two of Jo's classes, a beginners' yoga and Gentle Flow. In both classes, the moves are almost similar, with plenty of sun salutations, archer poses and more, but Gentle Flow is definitely less taxing than beginners' yoga.

As an instructor with years of experience, Jo makes it easy for me to follow her classes. She cites each line and instruction with familiarity and a lot of soul, that you cannot help but to do your best to mold your body into that particular pose as much as you can. (Tough for a stiff beginner like me!)

And then she makes you hold that pose until your muscles tremble and you'll perspire like crazy.

I'm just kidding.

But it's true in some way!
Do bring a towel, by the way. In case you do perspire like crazy. :D

With Jo, you just want to be able to glide gracefully from one pose to another in a fluid motion as she demonstrates each pose in languid ease. Unfortunately, I am as fluid as lumpy porridge so I believe you graceful lots will probably fare better in her class than I did. (Because I'm old and stiff!)

She's a great person with an ever ready smile on her face. :)

I'm like a spy cam in class, snapping unflattering pics!

I managed to attend last Saturday's Pilates class at 9.15am and boy, the studio was crowded!

Saturday mornings are very packed, with two classes going on simultaneously. It's either beginners' yoga by Foo or Pilates by James. I opted for Pilates, believing that my muscles would not be too sore after class.

Snort.

That morning's class required the use of a resistance band and soft ball. I wish I had taken a picture of my resistance band - you would have been so proud of me. It was lilac, and matched my purple yoga mat! :D

I thought I would be able to take it easy that day before the Brooks Half Marathon 2013 but I was wrong. The stretches that morning worked my quads and abs (not really! I think I had too much fats around the middle) and my muscles were pretty sore after class.

I'm definitely going back for more suffering. I realise that I hate doing my core exercises so I might as well go for Pilates to be forced to work out my core. *Shrug*

Observing the crowd while having my brunch.

Since I had the morning free, I ordered some food from their Juice & Salad Bar. It is a small area to mainly cater for the regular goers, but they do receive orders from people in the same block.

5 colour rice, homemade yoghurt and juice.

The portion of rice was huge and I was stuffed after two thirds through it.  With diced capsicum, carrots, celery and tomato, it was a lovely dish to enjoy whilst it was still warm. The pumpkin and sunflower seeds added some crunch to it and I did enjoy the dish a lot.

I finished the whole dish!
I consoled myself that I needed the carbs for my run the next day. :D

Slightly sour, but tasted homey! :D

I also tried their homemade yoghurt which was topped with diced apple and cornflakes. I was wary at first, thinking it was going to be super healthy with a strong sour taste but to my delight, it wasn't too bad. Phew!

The sourish taste was still there, but with delicate hints of sweetness, which made it enjoyable. I was secretly hoping that it would taste like ice cream but hah, fat chance!

I think my BFF and my youngest sister would have enjoyed it. :)

I must have ENJOYED my meal so much because I used that word so many times in this post!


 [Click pictures of the menu for a larger image.]

Now what else would I recommend, hmmmm. I've tried the Thai Spaghetti which I really liked because of the scent of lemongrass in the gravy. 

They recently had a Free Salad Day where the regulars voted for their preferred salad and French Golden Mango topped the polls.

I must try that the next time.

Photo credit: Surya Yoga

Looks like I missed out on their Free Salad Day. Dang!

So, anyway, if you feel like dropping by to try any of their dishes, do give them a call first to order in advance, just in case they may not have it in stock. :)

Oh, in case you don't want pasta or salad, they also have sandwiches!

Note: It is open on Mondays-Thursdays 10am-9pm, Fridays & Saturdays 10am-230pm, closed on Sundays and public holidays.


Related post:

Other review:
foodjourney4me

No comments:

Post a Comment