Sunday, September 9, 2012

Peanut Cookies - A CNY Fave

Earlier I showed you a sneak peak of the cookies I made for Chinese New Year, which was a bit disastrous, if you ask me. The pineapple rolls weren't great, nor were the cornflake cookies. However, the peanut cookies were a hit with my family and guests who visited our home.

These were the ones I made for Chinese New Year.

Do you know why I'll never be able to a full-time chef/baker/cook? Because I'm frigging hopeless.

I keep losing my recipes. O.O

SERIOUSLY.

I am the most disorganised person on earth (you can imagine YB nodding his head furiously, should he read this) and I keep losing things!

Or misplacing them, the least.

Sigh.


The other day mum asked when would I be baking them again.

I stared hard at her in disbelief.

"Uhm," I mumbled. "I don't have time lah."


When I went home for the Raya weekend, my mum asked, "So, where are the cookies?"

Again, I stared hard at her, but this time with remorse for disappointing her.

"Wha-aaaat?" I asked. "No time lah! And I lost the recipe!"

I think she looked really disappointed.


Out of urgent desperation, I baked some tonight.


This time, I tried to make them a bit more salty instead of sweet (as earlier requested by my dad) and I don't think I've achieved that level of satisfaction yet!

In fact, to be honestly frank (yeah, doubly honest! When can you ever get that from me?), I don't think they taste as good as the ones I baked for Chinese New Year.

I think I made a mess out of the recipe, if you ask me.

I've tried 3 pieces so I should know.

Oh, I don't know!

I'll try one more piece again tomorrow.

Regardless, I'm sorry, mum and dad, you'll still have to eat them! And I know they will, because their love is unconditional. ;D


I would suggest Bread et Butter's recipe as one of the best recipe for guidance. Otherwise, my colleague's recipe which she kindly shared with me is as below:


Peanut Cookies
Ingredients:
8 oz (1 cup) of peanuts
8 oz (1 cup) of icing sugar
12 oz (1 1/2 cup) of flour
8 oz (1 cup) of mazola oil (I used canola oil)
1 yolk (I used the whole egg)
salt to taste
Directions:
1. Dry roast peanuts on pan until they turn golden brown. Cool.
2. Pulse peanuts in blender until they become fine powder.
3. Mix in the icing sugar, flour and 2 pinch of salt into the peanut powder. Mix well.
(Optional: If I have the time, I would sieve the peanut powder, flour and sugar before mixing them together.)
4. Slowly pour in the oil and mix. I usually pour in half a cup and stir, before gradually pouring the rest of the oil.
(Optional: I usually add 1-2 heaped tablespoons of peanut butter into the mixture.)
5. Break yolk (or egg) in bowl and whisk.
6. Preheat oven at 180'C (or 160'C for mine). Line cookie tray with ungreased baking paper.
7. Roll dough into 2cm balls and place on tray.
8. You may use a straw or chopsticks to create the dent onto the balls or decorate with half a peanut. Brush egg wash onto each ball.
9.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until they turn golden brown.
Note: This time, I added several pinch of salt into the mixture that I lost track of the amount! I will try again and let you know the recipe of the salty ones next time!

Happy trying!

This time, I added 4 tablespoons of peanut butter. As a result. these cookies are really fragile - pick them up and pop them right into your mouth as it'll crumble!

Oh, I couldn't stop eating these babies.

I think I had 3 in a row, while trying to snap the picture above!


No comments:

Post a Comment