Monday, September 3, 2012

LOKL, Jalan Tun H.S. Lee

Friday, 3rd August 2012.

LOKL, pronounced 'local', is the latest cafe you'd find along Jalan Tun H.S. Lee. It is located at the lower floor of Back Home, a boutique backpacker's hostel.

They serve freshly brewed coffee, sandwiches and a selection of dessert and pastries.

A quick glance at the menu will give you an indication that the prices may not encourage office workers around the area to lunch regularly at this cafe. 

But if you desire a quick reprieve away from the office or the hustle and bustle of the city, even if it's just for an hour, then look no further.




I struggled to find something to order on the menu. I was torn between choosing a salad or a sandwich, as I was wary of ordering a sandwich which I felt was on the high side.

Perhaps its portions are huge, I mused, hopeful. 

My colleague opted for the Hainanese Meatloaf (RM13.90), after reading reviews for this dish.

She found it to be less greasy than the Roti Babi served at Yut Kee's, which is a plus point. On the other hand, she found the chicken to be rather bland.

And perhaps that's what the bottle of Worcestershire sauce is for.

But I was fine with it.

After a long deliberation, I opted for the Messy Pulled Beef Burger (RM17.90).

That's it?

My first reaction was disappointment. That's a huge plate but a rather empty one, Mister!

I wished the portion of the salad was bigger or maybe add some fries to the dish.

Either that, serve this burger on a smaller plate, please?
 
 
It looked as if I was on a diet and told them not to serve me any fries with my burger. =(

I took a deep breath and told myself to set aside my disappointment and hope that in actual fact, the burger is really yummy and sufficient to fill my tummy.

It wasn't too bad, I suppose.

I haven't tried Betty's Midwest Kitchen so bear with me, I lack the experience to judge this pulled something burger.

We saved space for dessert and coffee.

She ordered the Kopi Susu (RM6.90) whilst I browsed the dessert display for something to grab my attention.

They serve Mille Crepe from Food Foundry and other desserts as well but I asked the staff which one was made by them. They pointed to the lemon curd pie (RM7.90 per slice) and I ordered it.

It was a good choice.

The lemon curd was tangy with a tinge of bitterness, yet sweet and it was complemented by the crust.

Oh, I spotted Cheryl Samad and her husband, you know. ;)

She's sooooooooo petite!
You'd think I was an ogre, right next to her.


Anyway, perhaps I'll go back there one blue moon to try their coffee and salad.

And muster some confidence to say hi to Cheryl. ;D

~*~*~
Other reviews:
Crystal Cha
Eat Drink KL

1 comment:

  1. Portion seems small for me. I've never had a chance to actually try their food despite going there so many times. Only weekdays huh?

    ReplyDelete